Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cowboys and Indians

I grew up in Indiana on six acres of land. A tractor shed with a clubhouse and slide, two old barns (that were both tore down eventually) and an acre woods stood on the property. Even with all that, it was across the country road where my real adventure land lay. Here there stood 9 or 10 acres of pure bliss for any boy...and by pure bliss I mean, woods. In my spare time (and time that wasn't to be spared) I would fight and explore. What did I fight? Well, depending on who I could convince to wonder out into the woods with me, my brother's and sister being the main prey and on the wondrous occasion my cousin Phil would come visit. Oh the battles and adventures we had. My mother would holler and yell for us to come home, but we NEVER heard her till the last bit of energy was spent. Oh the trouble that woods caused us. The spankings we got for how dirty we were or the talking-to's for the mud or animals we brought back with us. Didn't matter to us, the more dangerous the better.

Summer time, the creek would flood: we would toss large logs in and "save them", not ever thinking we might need saving.

Winter would come and it would snow: then freeze rain on top, we would grab our sleds. But it wasn't enough to just sled down the ice-covered-hill, no, we had to try to HIT the person at the bottom as they tried to get out of the way (may we have a brief moment of silence for the many broken sleds lay at the bottom of our hill). The owner of the woods would drag a huge fireplace out to our sledding hill and make a fire to warm us as we tried to wreck destruction upon our snowy little woods.

Spring would come: we'd find some berries...no, we didn't know what they were, but we'd eat em.

Baby snake found in the dry creek bed in the fall: catch it! Who cares if its poisonous or if its trying to bite! We'd put it in a glass jar and chase Sarah around with it.

Oh the memories of playing in the woods. It was the Old West, where we would have glorious battles between Cowboy and Indian. The Battles between the good Kings and evil soldiers. Where I said the "d word" and got told on by Adam (thanks you jerk)...it WASN'T where I got my mouth washed out with soap though.... Its where I got the poles for my Indian tepee...

Now its just a woods again. I don't think that the animals are quite as happy as they once were. The trees no longer tickled by yelling and laughter. Now, its just trees and grass...but its waiting. Waiting for that next child to discover its enchanting power. There is magic in the woods...magic, just waiting for a child to unlock its gifts and pour them out all around...oh, how I miss it.

3 comments:

  1. This beautiful discription send my mind shooting back to my own childhood adventures in the woods around my house and my grandma's. :) I miss it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam Writing- First of all, I'm not a jerk. Secondly, Thanks for the reminder of home. I do think you should have included the part about the cave that we kind-of, but not entirely dug out of the side of a mountain aka hill. You also forgot to mention all of the trees that are glad to see that we are no longer there so we don't shoot them with our guns for lack of a better target. Anyways, thanks for the picture that you triggered in my mind of all the great times we had. It makes me hope that one day, my son will have some of the same experiences that we did. Notice I say only some. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One other thing, remember how we used to go "hunting" and never find anything, and then proceed to shoot any birds/animals that we saw, and when we didn't see anymore animals/birds, we would shoot, well,.... pretty much anything that was a challenge. Not to mention all the things that crazy neighbour did. (Not to mentions names, but his first initial was SCOTT) Examples: Potato guns were lame so he made a Spike gun, Spike gun turned golfball launcher (hit neighbours house 1/4 mile away) and the ever so popular backstop, when he finally tore it down, I'm pretty sure it didn't stop bullets anymore. Ah, the good times - Adam

    ReplyDelete