Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Look Through My Brown Eyes

The back door is opened again...Seth turns around and yells in the most serious voice I've ever heard Seth ever use. I think it was the same for the kids, because they stopped. But, like normal, when a door is shut (no pun intended) another opens, cause pretty soon they started yelling and fighting amongst each other. Poor Josh, he got the blunt of it. He gets the blunt of it a lot. Week one I was in Indiantown I knew that. He sat alone on the slide, so defensive. So ready for the attack. His heart still has a tender side. A side that we adults have learned to make hard and let things roll off our backs. It hurts him still when the kids call him fat, he hasn't learned to laugh it off, or make a joke about it. They let him have it with both barrels tonight, and by the time the van stops his face is in his hands and doesn't want to get off the bus. I did what I could, but it took "Super-Joy" to the rescue to convince him it was either home or the service, no staying on the bus.


Wow, a missing hat, malfunctioning equipment, and two prayers later its starting to get quiet. Flo and Becka play and lead the kids in a song...if you call the yelling of lyrics singing (I have to admit, I love hearing them sing, anyway for those words to get stuck in their heads). Some how I strategically placed myself behind the four rowdiest kids (or were they just four kids in front of me...they all seemed pretty rowdy). Peewee...oh Peewee...how innocent he can look. Super-Joy gave him a moment on the floor tonight...he decided he didn't like to be the center of attention, and since we don't allow sideshows he opted for at least whispering. I look over at Becka and catch her eye, big smile. She loves the kids here, all the workers do. Tonight Johnny spoke to the kids about temptation, and did an amazing job. I'm glad he takes it seriously. Joel, oh Joel, I can see that you have thousands of thoughts in your head when you hear those kids saying or doing something they shouldn't. He has a lot of patience, a lot of love. Seth, you too have patience in abundance, and a love for those kids, I can see on your face. Flo, wow, I've never seen someone so gifted with being in front of a crowd and handling hecklers like you do. Becka, I'm not really sure what you do (just kidding) but those kids sure do love you an awful lot. Then, the backbone of the whole operation: Super-Joy. No, that's not her nickname (unless I can officially give those out). She is truly used by God in an amazing and powerful way. A true servant. She'd get embarrassed and quickly give all the praise to God if she saw or heard me say this.


That's Indiantown. Sure, when they come to church you may see a loud crazy bunch of Mexican kids that don't have manners or know the "church ethics" so many of us grew up with. They didn't have your parents. But we don't care out in Indiantown. We're there (like Super-Joy said tonight) to give those kids a chance at something better. If that means letting them have their rowdy moments and cake fights, so be it. Those kids have had an impact made in their lives by the ministry there. Mario, he got saved two weeks ago, he tries so hard. Even told Josh he was sorry for saying mean things tonight. Mario saying sorry, for anything, is a miracle in my book. Whoever said God is dead, is a liar. Mario is proof enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. YOu know JJ you are an awesome encouragement and I know that the kids in Indiantown love you....you are amazinf with them & it's a pleasure working with you to help them....=]

    ReplyDelete